Popular Posts

Monday, February 2, 2009

virtual voyeur

I've said it before, and I'll admit it again, I'm one of those that walks the dogs at night, glancing into homes from my sidewalk perspective. Nothing creepy, I just like to see what's going on in there, paint-wise, art-wise, furnishing-wise...It's always fun to see how other's approach their living environment. I'm nosy. I like to know.
Recently a friend of mine and his wife decided to put their beautiful New York city loft on the market. I had caught glimpses of the space in the backgrounds of kid-photos shared via email and facebook, so I knew that their home was one of skilled and brave color usage, great furniture, lovely art and the bones of a vintage loft to house it all.
But until I saw those glimpses in their full context, I hadn't realized (well,two things) 1. how really beautiful their home was in its entirety and 2. how much I still dream of living in a cool industrial NYC loft.
come along...let's spy....


The loft itself is housed in this beautiful 1916, factory building { we don't find many of these at the beach~it's hard for me not to add 'exotic' to that description }
I think what's pretty amazing about this loft, is that it's not a ton of square footage, but it feels spacious. A family of four can live stylishly and everyone can have their own space because of the lay out. {how about those windows~ an outstanding feature}

of course it helps that the couple has discerning taste {jean prouve´dining table above~love.}
The open floor plan accommodates living room, dining room and kitchen all in one space.



having a built in desk shelving system is key to this sort of living. instant office while mainting a beautiful place to entertain
{I just keep thinking, do their kids ride their tricycles like mad all over this place? If I were five, I totally would}
Like the rest of the loft, the master has a distinct, urban modern feel. I love the idea of bringing in a blue the color of a bright summer sky, as a backdrop to it all.




So much great color and fabulous poster art in the kids' room.{I'm told that most of the furnishings are from ikea- here's to not breaking the bank when it come to designing a cute, functional kid space}

Speaking of great poster art, I'm in total hearts over this gallery powder rooom.
What better way is there treat a small powder room than painting it a dark color and adorning it with, salon-style, hung art. These two are fortunate enough to have some fantastic work. My favorite may well be the ode to Bill Murray that hangs above the 'comode'
Thank you, C & G, for letting the blog world come in and satiate our voyeuristic hunger for a great pad, tricked out with all kinds of beautiful ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment