Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

black dynamite


What I would give to have a little extra space, in this little beach bungalow. A butler's pantry perhaps. Or maybe a china closet. Something 10 x 8 ish, with a french door and a crystal doorknob.
A place where I could stand, chin between forefinger and thumb surveying my stash, pieces collected over years of wading through tag sales, picking through flea markets and second hand stores.


Of course, they'd all be arranged by color, placed on lined shelves, random clutches of silver flatware, in parfait glasses...you've know the drill. Maybe I'd even arrange them seasonally.
If I had an autumnal area, before my purple transfer ware {brought out at Thanksgiving} would have to sit a collection of Wedgwood Basalt, which of course, would be used over and over again throughout the month of October {although I once read that Charlotte Moss mixed hers with a pale pink linen but that's an entirely other closet }


Basalt Ware, sometimes called Black Basalt, is a hard black vitreous Stoneware, named after the volcanic rock Basalt and manufactured by Josiah Wedgwood from about 1768. Wedgwood's Black Basalt Ware was an improvement on the stained earthenware known as Egyptian Black made by other Staffordshire potters.

No comments:

Post a Comment