Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

reform school


photo, poorly scanned from the 2/10 house beautiful

Right after I attempt Celerie Kemble's, great idea to dye a silk lampshade, I'm going to attempt this:

But for those of you not as brave as myself, check out the
ABC Carpet & Home's 'Color Reform' rug line. ABC, features discarded imperfect, vintage, turkish rugs that have been bleached {using a lemon juice based bleach -for all of you environmental police } and re-dyed {using something called 'synthetic and non toxic' which a new oxymoron for me - but I love and trust ABC carpet }.


Photos provide by Joe Siscelli/ABC Carpet and Home found at orchid studio.com
.... I've received so many emails, this morning, asking me how I was going to actually dye the lamp shade! You know, the process.

When I wrote that, I was kidding. If I tried this, I'd have dye on my forehead and a smeary mess that looked like I used Magic Markers. So, to answer your questions, I went right to the source. I emailed Celerie Kemble and here are her instructions:

"The only trick I can share on the dying is to wear gloves! It is an ugly mess for weeks if you don't. But it works and is relatively easy. The color mix in the house beautiful story turned out a bit dingier than I had planned so tinker with the colors and test on some papers first -- it is a great way to get a cheap but very custom colored shade. "


ok, I think I can do this. If you try it, will you send me photos? I'd love to see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment